I can’t believe this weekend is almost over! It has been so much fun- filled with soccer games, birthday parties, church & punkin patches!
How cute is this?
The weekend started by making some deconstructed Gyros…..OOOOHHHHHMMMMMGGGGEEEE
Michael Symon made a version of this on The Chew last week and I just had to make it!
It was better than I could have ever dreamed of. It is most definitely on my faves list from now on and it really was super easy!
Here are the players to marinate the lamb:
slightly adapted from Michael Symon
- 1 1/2 lbs of leg of lamb, cubed – the recipe called for shoulder but my butcher said it is more fatty and I would enjoy this more. It is more $$ but about the same cost of good steaks
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of Red Wine Vinegar
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Greek seasoning
- salt & pepper
look at this lamb– isn’t it beautiful? And my butcher cubed it for me! They will really take good care of you and just think you are paying for their services anyway by shopping at the store! Use your resources!
Cover and throw in the fridge for 2 + hours. Mine marinated about 4-5 hours and then I pulled it out of the fridge while I made the cucumber salad and let it come to room temperature.
Turn on your grill to medium-high and let that puppy go while you make the salad and prep the meat on the skewers & get the pitas ready.
The salad was super easy-
- 1/2 english cucumber, peeled and sliced super duper thin – I used the vegetable peeler and the slices are perfect!
- 1/2 red onion – use the same method of slicing paper-thin with the peeler
- 3-4 tomatoes, cut into small chunks
- 1/4 cup of mint leaves, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Red Wine vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- salt & pepper
Next you will need to cut about 2-3 pitas into quarters and brush with olive oil and sprinkle with Greek seasoning
Place the lamb on either metal skewers or if they are wooden- make sure you soak them (or you will be putting out a fire!). I only had the big metal ones which worked perfectly!
I put them on the grill for about 3 minutes each side and added the pitas about halfway through~
The pitas grill very quickly so DO NOT WALK AWAY- they WILL burn!
To plate- Place about 3-4 pieces of lamb (once it has rested) and pita on the plate and add a dollop of plain Greek yogurt on the plate next to the cucumber salad
This was a fantastic Friday night- gateway to the weekend meal.
It would be so fun to invite friends over and have a Mediterranean themed dinner party outside! Well we can still do that here in October in Texas but you may need to think a little on that one if you are up north!
Hope you had a fabulous weekend!
Enjoy your Sunday night and look forward to some yummy Fall recipes this week!
What is your favorite Fall treat?
Hands down it is Pumpkin Spice Latte!